KeepCup Reusable Coffee Cup / Travel Mug
The world's first barista standard reusable cup.
KeepCup Brew Cork is made from durable, tempered glass with a sustainably harvested cork band for a comfortable hold.
As a drafted vessel for easy pour with a press fit sipper lid, it's lovely to drink from - lid on or off - lightweight, easy to carry and fits comfortably in your hand and cup holders.
It only takes 24 uses for your KeepCup to have a lower impact than disposables.
-BPA & BPS free
On the Move
KeepCup products are designed to replace the disposable cup – not a thermos. They have a splash proof, not a leak proof, seal.
KeepCup Brew was created to deepen the sensory experience of the coffee ritual. Glass is tempered, which means it’s tough – but it’s not unbreakable. A drop, or rapid temperature changes may break or shatter the glass. Do not put cold liquids into a hot glass, or place on a wet cold surface when hot.
Be gentle – don’t use abrasive materials or cloths when cleaning.
For everyday use a quick rinse will do it – but we recommend a thorough clean once a week.
Keeping your KeepCup clean makes the coffee experience great for you, and your barista – make sure you hand over a clean cup.
The lids & plugs are durable, and designed to be easy to care for. All are dishwasher safe on the top shelf. The cork band is not dishwasher safe so the cup should be hand washed.
Cork endures best with gentle handwashing. Removing the cork band risks breaking or cracking as it bumps over the glass indent. Do not remove the band for general cleaning. If you need to remove your cork band, please follow instructions under the care section. Washing the cork band can cause it to expand and loosen. Just rest it upside down (on the glass tumbler) in a warm place to restore shape
Tempered soda lime glass
- Tempered glass is durable, dishwasher safe and can withstand high temperatures. All glass is breakable.
- Internal volumes replicate industry standard, for correct coffee:milk ratio and speed of service.
- Cup lip is designed for pleasurable drinking without the lid.
- Dishwasher safe, top rack.
- Microwave with lid off to a maximum temperature of 100 °C / 212 °F.
- Caution: Rapid temperature change or heating over 100 °C / 212 °F may cause the glass cup to shatter. You cannot heat liquids in the microwave above boiling point, or put a cold cup in boiling water or microwave
Soda lime glass is widely used for glass cups, bottles and containers. Our glass cups are manufactured in a machine blow-molding line, which is standard for most commercial products. It delivers dimensional uniformity in diameter and lip, which is not consistently achievable using hand-blown glass production. Glass KeepCups are toughened by tempering, which is a process of extreme heating and rapid cooling. Due to the nature of glass as a material, it remains breakable but it's much more resistant to thermal shock and mechanical shock. It's also safer, as tempered glass it beads when broken, and does not shard, making it less likely to cause injury.
The CORK BAND
- Designed to fit into the undercut on our glass cups, the cork bands provide thermal insulation and comfort for holding while drinking. It's naturally lightweight, impermeable and biodegradable.
- The bands are water resistant, antibacterial and heat resistant.
- Due to production method and cork being a natural material, there can be slight variances in colour, height and width of the band. As a result band fitment will vary - some can be moved slightly on the cup, and some may fit tightly with no movement. Both are fit for purpose as intended, to protect your hand from heat when holding.
- For longevity, we advise hand washing only and to not remove the cork band. Repeat dishwashing will cause the band to become discoloured and stretched.
- Similarly, microwaving may reduce its lifespan by causing the band to dry out and crumble.
- Please treat your cork bands with care, especially when fitting it to your glass. Over time, the cork band will form a tight bond with the glass cup, if you need to remove your band, make sure you follow our instructions below to avoid breakage.
Natural, renewable and biodegradable, cork is a sustainable material as it’s harvested from living trees. Our bands are upcycled from the waste by-product of wine cork production in Portugal. The cork is granulated, then compression-moulded with a very small amount of vegan food grade polyurethane bonding agent - just enough to hold it together while retaining the look and feel of natural cork. Your cork band may stain over time with use, and we encourage you to view this as a natural patina to the product.
Polypropylene alloy plastic (PP) #7. A modified polypropylene (PP) lid body and an overmolded dark grey thermoplastic elastomer inner seal (TPE) means the lid is a polypropylene alloy, reclassified from the traditional polypropylene (PP) #5 to #7 plastic.
- Our firm, easy to press on lid is the result of precise engineering and manufacturing and fits easily into a busy service environment, as well as providing drinking pleasure on the go.
- Concave shaped, to fit your face with a drink hole sized for easy flow.
- The breather hole, which allows air to escape and enable liquid flow for drinking on the go, is covered and sealed when the plug is closed. Steam will escape with hot beverages that will turn into liquid on the lid.
- We recommend that you wait 30 seconds after pouring boiling water before putting your lid on.
- Retain plug in open position for all contents over 65C.
- The lid pops directly on and off, make sure you use the tab on the lid to lift off and to firmly and evenly press back on.
- Dishwasher safe, top rack.
- Do not microwave.
- To avoid odour, store lid off.
The lid for our KeepCup Brew range is manufactured with two easily identifiable material parts. The first is a modified polypropylene (PP) lid body substrate, which provides a rigid structure. This is then used to overmold the second material part, the dark grey thermoplastic elastomer inner seal (TPE). TPEs are most commonly a mix of plastic and rubber. They have the properties of rubber, but are processed the same way as plastic and are recyclable. The inner seal provides the soft flexibility to ensure necessary sealing that accommodates slight diameter glass cup shape variances that are unavoidable in the glass blowing process.
Low-density polyethylene plastic (LDPE) #4
- Designed for ease of rotation while drinking on the go.
- The plug ensures adequate hygiene as it covers the mouthpiece when not in use. It also prevents spills in transit.
- Designed to be taken apart easily for thorough cleaning.
- For daily use, wash the plug as part of the lid. The plug can be removed for a thorough clean.
- Do not microwave.
- Use caution in dishwasher if separate from lid, as plugs can fall through the rack and be damaged or melted by the dishwasher element.
Low density polyethylene (LDPE) is one of the most widely used plastics for food and drink containers. This material is malleable and easy to injection mold, ensuring we achieve the right dimensional tolerances, and therefore better fit and part operation. This accuracy contributes to lowering the overall manufacture footprint of our products.
END OF LIFE
Recycling is the last resort. Reduce. Reuse.
Polypropylene (PP#5) cup, lids and plugs (LDPE #4) can be recycled through most domestic recycling systems or sent to Terracycle. The glass is tempered, so the annealed surface makes it unfit for recycling. No broken glass is recycled but is at least a naturally decomposing material.
KeepCup is currently validating that cork bands will decompose in household compost at end of life.
Until late 2017, old silicone bands were commercially recycled by our warehouses. Currently in Australia and the UK silicone goes into general waste, as it cannot be recycled, only shredded and repurposed at volume.
In the United States, KeepCup engage silicone recycler Eco USA to collect our old bands and convert them into silicone oil, which is then used to create new products. You can also send silicone bands to Terracycle.